Electives With Deadlines

With the new school year just around the corner, many of the students at South Oldham High have already received and started planning for their next year of academics. While many people may know exactly what they want to do next school year, some just don’t know what to fill their elective slots with. SOHS as many of your know offers a variety of elective classes to try and make sure that when we leave, we know what direction to head into as a freshman in college. Many of our electives require some sort of application to take the course, here is a list to help you better understand when you need to have your application completed: 

English electives:

Modern Print Media/ Dragon Tale with Mrs. Hunt-Rock, which has around 3 issues per year & their own website

• Students can submit applications by clicking HERE which are due by February 15th at 4 PM 
  • This class requires 1 teacher recommendation, which can be submitted by clicking HERE which are due March 1st 

Yearbook with Ms. Raque, which produced one book which is a recap of the past year 

• This class require 2 teacher recommendation, which can be submitted by clicking HERE they are due March 1st 

Broadcast Journalism/Dragon News with Ms. Gnadinger, which makes weekly youtube videos for the school to watch

• Students can submit applications by going to the library and picking up the application from Ms. Gnadinger.
  • All applications are due February 17 

Additional electives:

Peer Tutor is an opportunity for students to spend extra time with the teachers of their choice, but Students who serve as peer tutors within the classroom setting will interact with and instruct other students who need remediation. Peer tutors will also have in-classwork to complete for a grade. 

• Applications can be printed out by clicking HERE (last page) and turned in stapled to the back of your schedule card
  • Applications must be signed by the student, the Teacher they wish to peer tutor and the student’s caretaker

CBE Peer Tutor is an opportunity to work in a highly structured classroom with students who have disabilities.

• Applications are the same as the peer tutor but students will need to get the signature of Ms. Wade or Ms. Slider 
  • Applications must be signed by the student, the Teacher they wish to peer tutor, and the student’s caretaker

Teacher Aid is a class offered only for seniors; where the student can go assist teachers in the day-to-day operation of the classroom

Link Crew with Ms. Hunt-rock or Ms. Roque is a nationally recognized club that has upperclassmen work with incoming 9th-grade students to help them transition from middle school to high school life

• This class requires 2 teacher recommendations, which can be submitted by clicking HERE they are due March 1st 

Outside SOHS:

Pathways to Careers is a program that our school offers that allows students to be absent in certain blocks in the day to attend/work in their own job

• Employment/internship/shadowing must be approved by SOHS registration 
  • Students can print out the application by clicking HERE
  • All applications must be submitted either electronically or physically by February 13th 
  • Students must also explain the following questions typed/written out when they turn in their application (Where are you planning on working, interning, shadowing, etc.? How does this correlate to your career goals? Why do you need to do this during the school day rather than after school?)

JCTC is an early college opportunity for juniors and seniors to get college hours. It’s 1 block and you do 4 classes Information about can be seen by clicking HERE

• Students must first submit applications to SOHS by clicking HERE which are due by February 28th
  • Students must then complete applications to JCTC by clicking HERE which are due by April 16th
  • Once all that is completed, the student’s parent must complete a Complete Dual Credit Enrollment Agreement which can be accessed by clicking HERE
  • Lastly when students get accepted there will be an orientation for students staying at South sometime in May and another orientation for students who will be attending JCTC at the Carrollton Campus sometime around May-August.

Arvin is a center in which students can leave their school for at least 2 periods and attend more advanced classes outside their school. Transportation is given to all students there and back.

• Students can choose between a variety of classes under the business, Bio-Medical, Computer Science, Engineering, Culinary Arts, Health Science, Sports Medicine, or Automotive pathways
  • If you are new to Arvin or switching pathways you will need to complete the application by clicking HERE

CAPAA hosted by the Oldham County Arts Center is a high school program for Oldham County students with a deep-rooted passion for the pursuit of both artistic and academic excellence. 

• CAPAA provides a training program during the school day where students are immersed in a rigorous curriculum in Musical Theatre, Technical Theatre, String Orchestra, or 3D Visual Art.
  • Auditions are currently open for the 2023-24 school year, to learn more click HERE for the informational slide deck or HERE to access their website