Y-Club

Y-Club

Our Y-Club, which includes KYA (Kentucky Youth Assembly) and KUNA (Kentucky United Nations Assembly), is a club that allows young Kentuckians to spread their voice like the leaders of our political state and world. KYA had its conference last December with a total of 112 students from South. All of which can debate, lobby, act like the supreme court, be part of the media team, and even run for officer positions. During the last conference, the Y-club was able to claim a number of PO (presiding officer) positions, including the seat for Governor (Cross Dutton (11)) and lieutenant governor (Blaine Kimery (9)). Furthermore, Ms. Heineman (who has been South’s Y-club advisor for the last 12 years) has already started holding meetings ensuring that South’s delegation will be thoroughly prepared for a successful KUNA conference in March.  At the conference, South will be representing Great Britain, Finland, and Nigeria at the conference. This allows delegates to research and ensure they understand not only the political aspects of their country but also the social aspect that may impact their chosen country. Y-Club has allowed students to experience what being a potential political leader is like, and will continue to inspire for years to come. Ms. Heineman even noted that “One of my favorite things about the club is how each year, I get to watch students challenge themselves in different ways and have a lot of fun doing it” and how people from outside our community take notice of how culturally passionate the team is. One of these members Sam Ray (11), who currently holds a PO position, explained “When kids our age try to voice their opinions, they are often disregarded by older people because they believe we aren’t mature enough to hold good political discourse. But, if you look at modern-day politics, our high school debate is often much more civil and enriching than the debate that happens at our state and national legislatures.” Y-club has been able to shape the lives of so many young Kentuckians for the better, Huter Coady (12) went as far as to say that they “I love Y Club. I eat, sleep, and drink Y Club.” The love and enjoyment for this club are real. If you have the opportunity to go to any of the conferences held twice a year I urge you to attend, and maybe you too will fall in love the what so many of us have already.